District wrestling got underway on Friday and already 18 wrestlers from the Chagrin Valley Conference are just one win away from earning a trip to next weekend’s OHSAA state tournament.
Semifinalists at the Division I Mentor district include Lakeside’s Ethan Wannett and Jacob Lagoa. Wannett opened the tournament with a pin then recorded a 6-1 decision in the quarterfinals. He’ll wrestle Riverside’s Chris Rocha in the 120-pound semifinals. Lagoa, the Division III state champion in 2017 and 2018, opened with a technical fall and pinned his way into the semifinals, where he’ll wrestle Highland’s Lukas Stiles.
Perry and Orange each landed a pair of wrestlers and Geneva sent one to the semifinals at the Division II Alliance District.
Perry’s Kyle Rowan, the defending 106-pound state champion, opened with a technical fall and then a 7-2 win. He’ll wrestle Aurora’s Antwan Sagaris in the 120-pound semifinals. Colin Koenig advanced to the 138-pound semis with a pin and a 6-1 decision. He’ll wrestle Aurora’s Nic Willingham in the semifinal round.
Orange went back-to-back at 126 and 132 pounds with Yuri Pozdneev opening the tournament with a 5-4 win and then reaching the 126-pound semifinals with a major decision. He’ll wrestles St. Vincent-St. Mary’s Elliott Alessia in Saturday’s semifinal round. TeAndre Allen went 2-0 at 132 with 7-0 and 7-5 wins. He’ll tangle with CVCA’s Matthew Williams in the semifinals.
Geneva’s Charles Taylor also reached the semifinals. He pinned both of his 220-pound foes and will wrestle Louisville’s Blake Robbins for a spot in the finals.
CVC wrestlers had plenty of success at the Garfield Heights Division III district as 11 grappled their way into the semifinals.
Hawken’s Patrick Reineke and William Lindsey, Berkshire’s James Klingman and Lucas Stoddard, Cuyahoga Height’s Nolan Frye and Joe Connors, Lutheran West’s Donovan Palmer, Cardinal’s Jerry Rose, Kirtland’s Jeff Kusar and Independence’s Luke Clymer and Braden Sears all are one win away from punching their ticket to state.
Reineke opened with a pin then won 6-0 to set up a semifinals match with Columbia’s Cole Schulke at 106. Lindsey flattened both of his 285-pound opponents and will wrestle Liberty’s Simi Moananu in the semifinals.
Klingman won 9-3 then pulled out a 3-1 decision in sudden victory overtime to move into the 106-pound semifinals against Chalker’s Landen Duncan. Stoddard opened with a pin and then enjoyed his own dramatic moment when he beat Mogadore’s Tyler Knight in sudden victory. He’ll wrestle Dalton’s Eric Miller in the 182-pound semifinals.
Frye pinned his way into the 113-pound semifinals and will wrestle Tuslaw’s Zach Lyons. Connors opened the tournament with a pin and then laid out the top seed, South Range’s Anthony Czap, in the quarterfinals. He’ll wrestle United’s Bodi Kiko in the 220-pound semifinals.
Palmer recorded a pair of pins on the way to set up a showdown with Waynedale’s Peyton Lemon in the 160-pound semifinals and Rose earned a pin and a decision. He’ll wrestle Orrville’s Cory Stiffler in the other 160-pound semifinal.
Clymer picked up a pin and a 6-2 decision at 195 pounds. He’ll wrestle Waynedale’s Cam Jordan in the semifinals. Sears was dominant in pinning both of his 220-pound opponents. He’ll meet Garfield’s Noah Hoffman in the semifinals.
Kusar wasted little time in the 285-pound preliminary rounds. He pinned his first two opponents in the first period and will wrestle Columbiana’s Jacob Kamperman in the semis.
Wrestlers still alive in the consolation bracket are listed below:
- Kaleb Scaine, 195, Lakeside
- Jayden Sabol, 106, Geneva
- Joey Jafarace, 106, Edgewood
- Zach Bellissimo, 106, Perry
- Brock Christian, 113, Perry
- Kyle Biller, 120, Edgewood
- Van Peck, 120, West Geauga
- Jack Sparent, 126, West Geauga
- Calvin Rowan, 126, Perry
- Johnny Wayslaw, 132, Geneva
- Jesse McElroy, 138, Geneva
- Deondre Smith, 145, Harvey
- Brett Goff, 145, Geneva
- Caleb Selman, 152, Geneva
- Sam Partain, 152, Chagrin Falls
- Ethan Hicks, 152, Perry
- Justin Artino, 160, West Geauga
- Cole Vennis, 160, Geneva
- Adam Talso, 160, Edgewood
- John Amato, 182, Geneva
- Jason Bisbey, 182, Edgewood
- Elijah Durham-Harris, 195, Beachwood
- Brandon Thomas, 195, Geneva
- Tyler Moriarty, 220, West Geauga
- Tommy Jackson, 220, Perry
- Lou Alesnik, 285, West Geauga
- Carter Williamson, 106, Kirtland
- Justin Heiden, 113, Berkshire
- Josh Tribuzzo, 120, Berkshire
- Johnny Heiden, 126, Berkshire
- Jackson Reineke, 126, Hawken
- J.P. Hlifka, 132, Hawken
- Louka Babic, 145, Kirtland
- Khalid Morales, 145, Lutheran West
- Cael Brown, 152, Trinity
- Jimmy Senick, 152, Independence
- Brayden Adkins, 160, Kirtland
- Josh Ripley, 160, Cardinal
- Brian Vollman, 160, Independence
- Kyle Calvey, 160, Cuyahoga Heights
- J.J. Perrin, 160, Berkshire
- Brennon Braud, 182, Kirtland
- Ben Vitron, 182, Independence
- Nathan Glinka, 182, Cuyahoga Heights
- Ryan Ford, 195, Berkshire
- Mason Shreve, 195, Grand Valley
- Anthony Gencarelli, 220, Kirtland
- Matthew Connors, 285, Cuyahoga Heights