Chagrin Falls and Hawken won their respective divisions in the 2018 Chagrin Valley Conference tennis tournament at Hawken and Perry on Saturday.
The Tigers won the Chagrin Division while the Hawks claimed the title in the Valley Division.
“I had two goals going into the season and one was to win the conference, which we failed to do last year, so I am very pleased that I can check that box,” said Hawken coach Brian Smallwood.
In the Chagrin Division, Chagrin Falls scored 18 points to edge second-place West Geauga, who finished with 15. Geneva was third with 12 and Harvey finished fourth with five.
Chagrin Falls’ Macy Breeden defeated West Geauga’s Rachel Ange, 6-2, 6-4, to win the third singles title and the Tigers also swept the doubles competition.
Emma Orazen and Francie O’Neil teamed up to beat Geneva’s Kenna Sanborn and Adrian Quinn at first doubles, 6-3, 6-0, and Courtney Curtiss and Avery Houston beat Geneva’s Cynthia Seames and Alyssa Fix at second doubles, 6-0, 6-2.
West Geauga won at both first and second singles.
Rylie Hanford defeated Chagrin Falls’ Adalaide Doman at first singles, 6-3, 6-0, and Mackenzie Hanford beat Chagrin Falls’ Lucy Fricke at second doubles, 6-3, 6-4.
Hawken scored 23 points to win the Valley Division while Orange edged Beachwood for second place, 16-15, and Perry finished fourth with six points.
Dylan Goldberg and Natalie Cohen won singles titles for the Hawks, who also swept the doubles competition.
Goldberg beat Beachwood’s Sabrina Machtay at second doubles, 6-2, 6-1, and Cohen edged Beachwood’s Zilin Zhang at third singles, 7-5, 6-3.
Samia Menon and Molly Xiao beat Orange’s Sophie Suh and Elly McCreary in three sets at first doubles, 6-4, 5-7, 6-1. Sarah Fares and Ellie Faber defeated Orange’s Rachel Glukh and Anna Brateanu at second doubles, 6-0, 6-1.
“All of our players competed very well and finished first in four positions as well as second at first singles,” Smallwood said. “Our first doubles team of Samia Menon and Molly Xiao faced adversity and overcame it by winning in three sets against Orange. The team seems to be enjoying the success of winning the conference and the leadership of our seniors going into the sectionals, which start next week.”
Orange’s Blessing Nwaouzuzu defeated Hawken’s Stephanie Shulman at first singles, 6-2, 6-2.
1. Chagrin Falls 18
2. West Geauga 15
3. Geneva 12
4. Harvey 5
- 1st: Rylie Hanford (West Geauga) def. Adalaide Doman (Chagrin Falls), 6-3, 6-0
- 3rd: Katie Keenan (Geneva) def. Meagan Preston (Harvey), 6-1, 6-2
- 1st: Mackenzie Hanford (West Geauga) def. Lucy Fricke (Chagrin Falls), 6-3, 6-4
- 3rd: Gabbie Selman (Geneva) def. Morghan Musselman (Harvey), 6-0, 6-2
- 1st: Macy Breeden (Chagrin Falls) def. Rachel Ange (West Geauga), 6-2, 6-4
- 3rd: Abby Anderson (Geneva) def. Lauren Grundy (Harvey), 6-0, 6-1
- 1st: Emma Orazen/Francie O’Neil (Chagrin Falls) def. Kenna Sanborn/Adrian Quinn (Geneva), 6-3, 6-0
- 3rd: Lauren Ralph/Anna Cianci (West Geauga) def. Katelyn Bartol/Pamela Huler (Harvey), 6-1, 6-2
- 1st: Courtney Curtiss/Avery Houston (Chagrin Falls) def. Cynthia Seames/Alyssa Fix (Geneva), 6-0, 6-2
- 3rd: Arden Frankmann/Sam Bertsch (West Geauga) def. Lilly Bermudez/Maria Mendez (Harvey), 6-0, 6-0
1. Hawken 23
2. Orange 16
3. Beachwood 15
4. Perry 6
- 1st: Blessing Nwaouzuzu (Orange) def. Stephanie Shulman (Hawken), 6-2, 6-2
- 3rd: Lali Ramadan (Beachwood) def. Brooke Ward (Perry), 6-0, 6-1
- 1st: Dylan Goldberg (Hawken), def. Sabrina Machtay (Beachwood), 6-2, 6-1
- 3rd: Rachel Pomerantes (Orange) def. Anna Fletcher (Perry), 6-2, 6-7 (7-9), (10-2)
- 1st: Natalie Cohen (Hawken) def. Zilin Zhang (Beachwood), 7-5, 6-3
- 3rd: Katie Brateanu (Orange) def. Clair Scales (Perry), 6-4, 6-1
- 1st: Samia Menon/Molly Xiao (Hawken) def. Sophie Suh/Elly McCreary (Orange), 6-4, 5-7, 6-1
- 3rd: Anna Owens/Elizabeth Metz (Beachwood) def. Meredith Robinson/Mandi Shueren (Perry), 6-0, 6-3
- 1st: Sarah Fares/Ellie Faber (Hawken) def. Rachel Glukh/Anna Brateanu (Orange), 6-0, 6-1
- 3rd: Emily Fan/Jamie Park (Beachwood) def. Emily Schueren/Kayla Zampini (Perry), 6-0, 6-1